martes, 25 de septiembre de 2012

Jon Jones wants Henderson next


Jon Jones has pin-pointed Dan Henderson as his ideal next opponent, although UFC president Dana White admits Chael Sonnen is an option if he beats Forrest Griffin later this year.

Jones recovered from a nasty armbar to beat Vitor Belfort via fourth-round submission on Saturday, chalking up title defence number four in the light-heavyweight division. However, he now anticipates a lengthy layoff after heading to hospital for a scan on his right arm.

That break could give Sonnen the chance to boost his title credentials against Griffin at UFC 155, and White says that, while the American's UFC record (6-5) is not the best, if the fans want to see him fight Jones it could happen.

"I can tell you right now, I think they both want that fight," White said. "I think there are other fights that make more sense. [But] people do want to see it. If enough people want to see it, I guess I'd have to make it.

"He's going to call out Jon Jones, no doubt, [if he beats Griffin]. Everybody talks about him talking his way into fights, but that guy's showing up to fight and win. That's why I don't really have reservations about it. When I called Jon and I thought he was going to take that fight - Chael will fight anybody. That's one of the things I respect about him."

Jones, however, appears more interested in fighting Henderson, whom he was supposed to face before the veteran pulled out of their UFC 151 encounter with an injury. Henderson stayed quiet in the aftermath of the UFC 151 cancellation, allowing Jones to take the flak even though it was reported that Henderson knew of his injury days before telling the UFC.

"I think I have some unfinished business to do with Dan Henderson," Jones said. "When he heals up, I would love to pick up where we left off."

0 comentarios: